Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Christmas Miracles

I should be writing my holiday letter. Or addressing my holiday cards. Or wrapping presents (I have not started this tedious task yet)! Or finding my pillow because I'm supposed to wake up early and run. But instead, I felt a calling to log on and just start writing, as I listen to my snoring Labrador pup, lying next to me on the couch.

I have to be honest when I write how difficult this Christmas is for me. I am appreciative and know that I have more blessings than I could ever imagine but there's a sadness in me that I can't shake. This year has been difficult for many of my friends and family. Each day, I read about a new loss of a loved one or a family pet, a new scary diagnosis or the robbery of a friend's house.

And the world is filled with all sorts of bad news. School shooting's, bombing's, hostage situation's, riots, and innocent people no longer with us because of murder-suicides. I absorb all of it.

I imagine what people are going through and what emotions they are feeling. I have dreams at night where I'm in a foreign county and I have to chose which troops to go with because the country I'm visiting, in my dream, is being bombed. My husband says I have an active imagination but I can't seem to let go of the sadness in the world. As a social worker, I want to help those in need. I want to heal those who are grieving. I want to spread kindness. I want to be a peace maker. In closing prayer, during my Mom's meeting at the church the other night, I asked if we could pray for World Peace.

Maybe I am naïve?  But maybe, I want to believe in goodnesss? Just like my sweet pup, who wags his tail and gives wet kisses to everyone he meets. He doesn't have a mean bone in his body.

This Christmas, I want to give a virtual hug to those who are lonely, who have lost their job, who are suffering from a disease, who are enduring agonizing treatment, who are fighting for our freedom, who have had to say goodbye to a loved one too soon or unexpectantly, and to those whose homes have been violated. My list could continue, for this just skims the surface of pain and loss and sacrifice, felt by many, whom are close to me. My heart aches for all of you. Maybe this is why I never sleep anymore? My mind is on rewind in the stillness of the dark, as I think of all the pain and suffering in the world.

But with each day, brings a new beginning and hope for a better tomorrow. My Faith is what gets me through the difficult times. I have to let go and know in my heart that everything happens for a reason. One must never lose Hope, even when life appears hopeless. A new sunrise is a promise for a new beginning. As difficult as it may be, seek Joy in your surroundings, Help someone less fortunate than you, say a Prayer for someone who needs healing.

On this Christmas Eve I pray for Peace for all of you.

I Believe in the magic of Christmas and in Christmas Miracles.





No comments: