Friday, August 16, 2013

The sweetness of Motherhood

Many thoughts arrive at this time of night, the time that I should be sleeping. It seems like the darkness allows me to slow down and reflect.  I have been going non stop these last few weeks, as a "Mom" without having to take care of her children.  It is quite an unusual feeling.  I suppose it is similar to when our friends, who are no longer living with their original spouse and share custody, describe their kid less time as a bit carefree and whimsical. I know I have a really bad habit of saying I will write about an experience and somehow it gets shoved away in my mind on the blog shelf, passionately awaiting for the words to be released out of my mind and into the Universe.  I will write about my experiences these past few weeks, being kid less, because they have been quite epic, to say the least.  But for now, I must write what has been settling into my heart these last few days, as the house became eerily quiet, and I started to grow anxious with each passing hour, as my kids and my saint of a Dad, began their 3 day car journey back home.
Towards the end of the three weeks, of being kid less, my activity hesitated somewhat and it was then that I grew more in tune about what a truly awesome blessing it is to have kids. However, I cannot lie.  It was quite divine to not have to give in to daily commands or be the referee when fighting over the mundane or to make sure 3 mouths were fed, 3 times a day or wash and stain treat the never ending pile of dirty clothes.  I could do whatever I wanted, when I wanted and not worry about a thing.
The problem with this is that you start to become selfish and greedy and you walk a slippery slope tightrope of falling into the trap of becoming self absorbed.  I realized how my kids bring balance and goodness into my world and an appreciation for the wonder of each day and the opportunity to engulf and cherish every moment.
My kids have enriched my life in more ways than I could ever have imagined. My greatest accomplishment is not a medal for crossing the JFK 50 Miler finish line, or a Who's Who in College listing, or being selected to participate in Miss TSU, or sitting in a committee meeting on Capitol Hill with Senator Ted Kennedy, or shaking President Obama's hand, or hanging out with INXS at an exclusive after concert party, or meeting Ryan Seacrest, or being an extra on HBO's show VEEP, or raising thousands of dollars for charity....
My greatest accomplishment is all about raising MY THREE AMAZING KIDS who I am SO proud of!  They continuously impress me with their kindness, creativity, generousity, and tenacity.   
They arrived home on Wednesday and my anxiousness has gone away.  Now I can go back to being their "Mom" again or "Mommy" as my sweet 7 year old daughter reminded me this morning that this is what she calls me.


I love these sweet faces!  And my Dad is my hero for driving them across the country ALL BY HIMSELF!!  My Mother is an angel for taking such good care of my babies!  She also sent me home a suitcase full of CLEAN clothes!!!  All three of my kids came home SO HAPPY and I give all the credit to my Amazing parents.  To have such rich, wonderful memories with their grandparents is the greatest gift of all. 
Tonight I will sleep, feeling extremely blessed, for parents who continue to go above and beyond to show their love for our family, and for being given three precious gifts that call me their "Mom" or "Mommy" as the littlest one prefers.  Ahhh...the sweetness of Motherhood!  ❤


No comments: